Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Finding My Passion


As you know, I left my job in January. It was a scary thing to do, a leap of faith. And no matter how much I knew that I wanted to have time with my son- time that I wasn't getting by working the retail business- I also knew that I would need to have something for myself.

I am learning just how true that is.

I want this. I want to be at home with Walker and see his growth. I want to know when he napped, how long his naps were, what and when he ate. I want to know how many dirty diapers he had and what new things he learned each day.

So I left my job in order to become a stay-at-home-mother. I also mentioned to several people in several places that I wanted to start a photography business on the side. I wanted to start a studio and really pursue photography. I have been taking the NYIP photography course for the past two years but with marriage and a baby, have yet to finish it. So my goal is to complete that. I know that I need something for myself. 

But I've been doing some deep thinking. And here is the conclusion I've come to:

I enjoy photography. I really do.

But I'm just not sure that I'm cut out to be a photographer. I love picking up my camera and capturing the stories I see around me. Capturing moments and emotions- things that could be classified as candid.

I don't like giving direction. It's not for me.
My dream job as a photographer would be to take candid photographs at events. I would love to be in the background and capture all of those feelings- the stories as I see them. That could be at birthday parties, weddings, a typical day at home...

So where does that leave me? I'm not sure.

I feel like I need to find my passion- that one thing that I love to do- something that gives me a goal to work towards. And I'm still working on that.

It seems to me that I've struggled with this issue for years. There are a lot of things that I am “good” at, but I want to find that one thing that I am “great” at. My passion.

More to come on this.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Write a story! You'd be great at it. Or...maybe I'm superimposing my own wish/passion on you, haha. Always wished I had enough time to write - really write. But whatever your passion is, Katie, I'm sure you'll find it. Miss you and give Walker my love! :)

Heidi Lassila said...

Stop trying to find your passion and it will just happen! :)
Other than that, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE candid photos. I think I would be more likely to hire a photographer that specialized in candids rather than someone who did a lot of posed shots.

MindiJo said...

Maybe you need to just take photos and sell them at a gallery somewhere. Or on Etsy. Something like that. But I agree with Heidi. Stop trying to pursue it.

But yay! to you on the big jump to STAHMommyhood.

Katie said...

I like that advice- don't try to find it. :)

I've been playing with the idea of opening an Etsy shop- not just for photos, but I have a few other ideas also. We'll see where that takes me.

Leigh, I'd love to write- still feel like I don't have enough time, but I suppose it's about making the time.

Jodi said...

Katie- if you did decide to have a buisness, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to help(: Hhaaa. Thats my passion.. Photogrophy
Love and Miss you

Emily said...

Totally get this Katie. This is exactly why I got a camera. I need something to be excited about again. While I love this SAHM stuff it's nice to have something to focus on besides all the mommy stuff.